Learn How to Become a Real Estate BrokerDo you know what it takes to get a California real estate broker license? If not, we have included the California real estate broker license requirements below. This information is directly from the Department of Real Estate (DRE) and includes everything you need to start your real estate broker career - all in one convenient place. If you have additional questions about getting a broker license, please contact us at (888) 751-2286 and we will assist you.
Prerequisites for a Real Estate Broker License
Before you can obtain your broker license, you must first fulfill the real estate broker license requirements, as well as qualify for and pass the broker license exam. Allied can help you complete your broker license courses and prepare for the real estate broker exam.
Broker License Prerequisites include:
- Age – You must be at least 18 years old.
- Residence – You must reside within the U.S. (If you are not a California resident, there are special circumstances for out-of-state applicants.)
- Experience – You must have a minimum of two years experience as a full-time licensed salesperson within the last five years. This experience may be waived if you have a 4 year college degree with a major or minor in real estate from an accredited college or university.
- Education – You must successfully complete eight (8) courses to get your real estate broker license. The five (5) mandatory courses to meet your real estate broker license requirements include: Real Estate Practice (2410-06), Legal Aspects of Real Estate (3192-10), Real Estate Finance (2011-04), Real Estate Appraisal (2383-06), and Real Estate Economics (3228-10). Three (3) additional broker license classes need to be completed from the following group:
- Real Estate Principles – 1523-94
- Property Management - 3008-08
- Escrows - 1670-97
- Real Estate Office Administration - 3166-09
How to Apply for the California Broker License Examination
Follow these steps to apply to take the California real estate broker license exam:
- Complete the broker license examination application.
- Submit the appropriate fees. You can pay the fees by check, money order or credit card.
- Obtain your transcripts. You need to show successful completion of the required eight real estate broker license courses.
- Show your real estate experience. You need to verify your two years of full time salespersonís experience completed within the last five years. This experience may be waived if you have a 4 year college degree with a major or minor in real estate from an accredited college or university.
- Mail or fax the above documents. You will receive notification of your examination date, time and location at least six weeks after your application is mailed or faxed.
How to become a Real Estate Broker
Once you pass the broker license exam, you will be sent an application for your broker license. You must complete this form and return it along with the appropriate fee and fingerprint requirements within one year of passing the real estate broker exam..
Start your new real estate broker career with these steps. Allied can also help with your renewal needs - stay up to date!